or a Follower

JOIN PAMM SERVICE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MT4 Platform and Bandwidth Usage

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Default MT4 Platform and Bandwidth Usage

I have been running 7 mt4 platforms on my home computer, on seven different broker demo accounts. I have satellite high-speed internet with bandwidth usage limitations. Before I downloaded the platforms, I was at about 50% of my allowed bandwidth usage, but it has steadily increased until now I'm at 83% and have already received a warning that I'm approaching my threshold, which I knew. My question: Is just having this many platforms running the cause of my increasing bandwidth usage? from what I've read the MT4 platform does not sue that much bandwidth. But at this rate, I'm going to have to do something soon to keep from going over my limit. I would hate to have to take the platforms off. In fact, though, I've already taken four of them off to see if this would help.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Bullish
    FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Running 7 mt4 platforms on single computer is not good idea. However bandwidh issue is related with how many charts and indicator you are using. You should go for only one or two charts on each MT4.

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Hello MorePips

I use windows xp and run two different brokers platforms each with 4 charts open and all using Expert Advisors and my avg bt broadband useage is only 4mb an hour, one is FXOpen and the other is a 5 digit broker that uses a slightly bigger precentage of the two. This is meaured while they are the only main programs running plus a little bit of that is taken up by my network monitor. At this moment with 5 different firefox windows open and my "Windows Task Manager" open to check my two platforms only use 00 - 05 CPU firefox 22 CPU with the "System Idle Progress" taking up the bulk of the CPU (or simply put about 75 CPU free). This would change if the markets where in a "high volatile" state, but it wouldn't make much of a differance to the usage as 90% of the time very little CPU or Usage is taken up. Until Tuesday my monthly usage is capped at 10gb with BT, it will increase to 40gb then for an extra 1 a month. But my brothers son used 25gb in one month and I did receive an email from BT warning me of this fact, and a charge of 5 would be added to my bill for every 1 - 5gb above my limit if it was to occur 2 months in a row. Because I was lucky enough to get out of hospital and stop his downloading the next month I was never charged a penny for it.

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

As far as I know, most of the mt4 platform bandwidth are with data stream from the server.
    If you use the 1min/5min timeframes, more data have to be downloaded from the server
    (that is, if you open a chart for an instrument, data will always be downloaded from the
    server, the lower the timeframe the more the data.)
    All in al, your usage will depend on the number of charts open * the number of terminals
    you use.). If you do not open any chart for an instrument, no data will be downloaded.

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilearn2t View Post
    Hello MorePips

I use windows xp and run two different brokers platforms each with 4 charts open and all using Expert Advisors and my avg bt broadband useage is only 4mb an hour, one is FXOpen and the other is a 5 digit broker that uses a slightly bigger precentage of the two. .................
    Quote Originally Posted by qlinks View Post
    As far as I know, most of the mt4 platform bandwidth are with data stream from the server.
    If you use the 1min/5min timeframes, more data have to be downloaded from the server
    (that is, if you open a chart for an instrument, data will always be downloaded from the
    server, the lower the timeframe the more the data.)
    All in al, your usage will depend on the number of charts open * the number of terminals
    you use.). If you do not open any chart for an instrument, no data will be downloaded.
    I agree that MT5 or MT4 with 5 digit consumed bigger bandwith, because its almost connecting to server in every second, (just to updating its last digit),,,and it also take some of our CPU..... We need higher internet connection to run 5 digit smoothly.
    I guess its also explaining why MT5 could make your PC sluggish...

About opening 1min/5min Timeframe,,, I think it has nothing to do with bandwidth, because even we didn't open any chart, the streaming will always run.... You can see in 'Market Watch', all showing pairs are always updating their current price for every minutes..
    Maybe can help lowering streaming (bandwith) if we open only few pair...... and reduce memory (RAM) consumed if we only open 1 or 2 chart at once (with lowest max bar in history).

CMIIW
    Last edited by widhie75; 02-11-2012 at 02:30 AM.

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

I think that MT4 is one of the platforms that uses the least bandwidth of all.

However, I think that the bandwidth consumption is also related to how many instruments you show in the Market watch window. I used to have a 2GB limitation on my connection and removing all unused instruments from that window helped me spare on my bandwidth usage.

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Hello haniam

Its as well the bandwidth usage for the platform/s is low, especially while your limit was 2GB, hope you're now on at least 20 - 40GB.

Good luck
    ilearn2t

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilearn2t View Post
    Hello haniam

Its as well the bandwidth usage for the platform/s is low, especially while your limit was 2GB, hope you're now on at least 20 - 40GB.

Good luck
    ilearn2t
    I am currently at a 60GB 100mbits internet connection.I am less worried about overconsumption and trades are executed faster. This removes one more stress while trading!

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

60GB????...hmmmm, that prompted me to check my travelling broadband and it says it has only 6GB!
    Wow....looks like I am way under powered

haniam, where are you at, and where did you get your 60GB 100mbits internet server?? I need to re-power my internet connection to catch those fast pips on the go.
    "Making Profit IS EASY, keeping it IS NOT!"

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RahmanSL View Post
    60GB????...hmmmm, that prompted me to check my travelling broadband and it says it has only 6GB!
    Wow....looks like I am way under powered

haniam, where are you at, and where did you get your 60GB 100mbits internet server?? I need to re-power my internet connection to catch those fast pips on the go.
    Well for this connection, I had to move to Europe with numericable ISP! It cost some 25-30 USD per month, which is the same amount I am paying in my main residence in the middle east for a 10GB (newly upgraded from 2 gb) 1 Mbit (newly upgraded from 256 kbit) connection

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

I use two traveling broadbands from two different providers since one would normally have better connectivity in some areas....and monthly, they cost me usd32 EACH

Hmmm, I better head on to these two service providers to find out what else they have to offer.

Thanks for the info haniam!

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Hello RahmanSL

Because of my brother-in-law's great intentions while I was laid up in hospital, I now have two broadband providers, downstairs for the only remaining half of my hungry mouths left in the house and now a different provider for myself upstairs (One 40 a month other 25 a month) you can get broadband with no limits on usage for a very cheap price in the UK. I pay for both but I'm sure you can work out who has the 40 broadband in the house.

Good luck
    ilearn2t

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

"...I'm sure you can work out who has the 40 broadband in the house."

...hmmmm......if you have a cat, perhaps it uses the internet to cat-chat with other cats in the world wide web. No????

I know your feelings exactly my friend! Relatives are best seen couple times a year at birthdays and other special occasions!
    Last edited by RahmanSL; 02-20-2012 at 02:14 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RahmanSL For This Useful Post:

ilearn2t (02-20-2012)

Market Maker cool user
    FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Well i have a postpaid internet connection which allows me a free usage of 8GB in the day time and 15GB during night time and anything exceeding this would be charged and my minimum rental is $12. I try to keep only one or two brokers platform open and close the rest. Try this it may help you. Don't run altogether.

FXO Shares
    FXO Bonus
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashvini View Post
    Well i have a postpaid internet connection which allows me a free usage of 8GB in the day time and 15GB during night time and anything exceeding this would be charged and my minimum rental is $12. I try to keep only one or two brokers platform open and close the rest. Try this it may help you. Don't run altogether.
    A very large capacity, 8GB. I think it is enough to tradig all day with these quotas. I just use a 3G cellular connection with unlimited capacity. MetaTrader4 FXOpen platform connection is very smooth and stable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast